The Best New Year’s Resolutions for Job Seekers
Whatever 2016 threw at you, 2017 is going to be your year. We can feel it! If you keep to the below (easy! effective!) resolutions in the New Year, your job search is going to be re-energised, targeted, and successful. So enjoy the mince pies, the board games and the turkey sandwiches, safe in the knowledge that you’ll be off to a flying start in January.
- Get your sleep right. Let’s start with an easy one. You may think you’re getting enough sleep, but if you stay up and lie in til late, if you ‘catch up’ on missed sleep during the weekends or if you vary your bedtime wildly from day to day, the quality of your sleep – and your life – will suffer. Sticking to a regular bedtime will mean you’re more energised, refreshed and positive about your job search.
- Stop thinking, start doing. We’re obviously not recommending you apply to jobs with the minimum of thought – quite the opposite. It’s just that we know how procrastination works. It can be very easy to waste valuable hours. So train yourself to get in the habit of sitting down at your computer in the morning BEFORE you start thinking about everything else you need/want to do.
- Go to your ‘office’. No more working on the couch, in bed, in your PJs or in front of Friends repeats. Cultivate an air of professionalism in your job search, even if it’s being done at the kitchen table. This will really affect your state of mind, making you more productive in the process.
- Find a little bit of time every day to exercise. This is a popular New Year’s resolution for nearly everyone who doesn’t already hit the gym regularly. But for job seekers it’s incredibly important – the endorphins and sense of achievement will make you more motivated and generally happier.
- Start setting realistic goals. It’s so much easier to work towards something when you have the goal firmly in your mind. Whether you decide to apply for five jobs a week, to contact a certain number of people to ask them about opportunities, or whether you set different goals every day, this is a sure-fire way to ensure you’re progressing.
- Reach out. You know that job adverts are only one way of many to find your ideal job. 2017 is the year to be proactive instead of reactive, so attend industry events, reach out to contacts on LinkedIn and touch base with former colleagues or classmates. You never know when you’ll meet the person who can sort you out with that dream job. Good luck!